Position Title: Assistant Programme Officer (Water and Sanitation)
Position Grade: NOA
Position Location: UNHCR Sub Office Mbarara Uganda
Effective: 01 January 2012
Under the direct supervision of the Head of Sub Office, the incumbent will perform the following functions:
• Act as the focal point for water, sanitation and hygiene within UNHCR especially in the technical sectors of education, health, community services, settlement and protection;
• Assess the needs of refugees related to water and sanitation and formulate project submissions in collaboration with district officials and Implementing partners;
• Assist in preparation of projects proposals for the country operations plan;
• Monitor and report regularly on effective and coordinated delivery of water and sanitation activities in the settlements;
• Review the quantity and quality of Water and Sanitation Services offered in the settlements and host communities and ensure maintenance of records relevant to WASH performance indicators.
• Ensure that beneficiaries participate in all aspects of WASH planning, implementation, monitoring, evaluation and reporting activities with a focus on protection risks and access especially for women, children and other vulnerable groups;
• Consolidate and provide technical guidance and support to Implementing Partners on all WASH related issues to ensure quality, cost effectiveness, sustainability and environmental soundness in their designs, planning, and implementation in accordance with UNHCR’s policies and priorities.
• Monitor the installation of civil structures in any new camps/ settlements identified for the settlement of refugees and review the quality of other engineering structures such as boreholes, schools, clinics;
• Supervise and monitor the implementation of all civil structures administered by UNHCR, or indirectly through Implementing partners and facilitate the implementation of appropriate strategies;
• Facilitate capacity building activities for UNHCR and its implementing partners to address key areas of WASH that are of utmost importance to refugees and other persons of concern;
• Perform other duties as required
• University Degree in Civil Engineering with Water/construction Specialization, Environmental Studies, Hydrology or Water Resources Development.
• Minimum of 3 years of relevant working experience with minimum 2 years in Water, Sanitation and Hygiene fields such as water supply, pumps generators, boreholes, surface water, water treatment, distribution pipe lines etc, sanitation (at household and institutional level), and hygiene promotion at community level. Knowledge of local institutions.
Good command of written and oral English and knowledge of local language.
Masters degree or Diploma in Project Management, or Business Administration, Economics. Computer literacy. Good communication skills and proficiency in technical writing.
Women are encouraged to apply.
How to apply:
Apply under confidential cover to; the Snr. Admin/Finance Officer, UNHCR Representation in Uganda, P.O. Box 3813, Kampala, quoting the vacancy notice and position title.
Closing Date: 07 December 2011